Saturday 4 May 2013

Hello one and all!



Hello one and all, my name’s Kenny and I’m the newest volunteer to the Southside Film Festival for 2013. I deliberated on whether to start off with a bad movie quote or pun, but I’ve opted for the more sensible option (even though I’ve told you what I was planning anyway, DARN!).....

My route into working as a volunteer at the festival has been a unique one. I studied Sociology at university, which by the end felt like I was watching Beverly Hills Cop 3 on repeat, which isn’t a good thing. I then did a postgraduate course in Broadcast Journalism and started a career in television which was a lot of fun. I worked on various TV shows from ‘The Hour’ on STV to quiz shows like BBC’s Eggheads, researching and helping out before coming to the realisation that film was my passion and that’s where I wanted to focus myself. After pleading with the lovely organisers of the Southside Festival to let me be involved, they have opened their arms and accepted me as one of their own. There’s a real community feel to the group of people that are working so hard and passionately to make the festival enjoyable for you guys and gals coming along as well as the staff that will be working throughout the weekend of the festival.

I’ve lived in the southside a few times throughout the years and I feel like this festival is one of a few times during the year where the southside can embrace and celebrate its community spirit. For one weekend, you don’t need to get the First Bus to Cineworld or hop on the Subway to The Grosvenor, instead you can experience great film in your own back garden. Not literally of course, but you get what I mean.

We’ll be updating the blog regularly between now and the festival so you can get all the inside scoops on what’s happening with the festival and maybe a sneak peek into what the volunteers are getting up to in the lead up to the big weekend.

Also, we’re starting to get the programme out into the community so keep an eye out for a copy and see what’s on - or you can just check it out from the comfort of your own sofa, online here.
If you’re a social media lover then make sure and follow us on Twitter (and get involved in all the chat using the #southsidefilm hashtag) & 'Like' us on Facebook to keep up-to-date with all things Southside.

No comments:

Post a Comment